Carl Nichols Retirement Message Board

January 7th, 2009 at 1:12 pm by under News

Tags:

136 Responses to “Carl Nichols Retirement Message Board”

1. Beth says:

Dear Mr. Nichols,
    I just wanted to share a found a memory from over twenty years ago. I was in first grade at Englewood Hills and you visited our classroom. I was so excited to have seen a real “star” from television that I immediately went home and told my parents that “Nick Carlson–the weather man” had visited my school that day. It took them a little while to realized that it was you. Ever since then, when my parents visit from out of town and we happen to watch you on channel 2, my dad has never let me forget how excited I was to see “Nick Carlson” nearly 22 years ago. I doubt that you’ll remember all the schools that you visited, but please know that our family has a special memory because of the visit you made to teach a bunch of little first graders about weather. Best Wishes to you and your family as you begin your retirement.
    Beth

2. Kay - N8UFN says:

Carl,
    I wish you the best in every way. I heard you might volunteer some more, sooo, in your non busy time (!!!!!!!!!) maybe you can be a storm chaser/spotter and join the HAMS since you became one of DARA’s members a few years ago!!!! I have always enjoyed your weather reports the best, and therefore, have always listened to chanel 2 news!!!!
    GOOD LUCK IN WHATEVER YOU DO
    Kay

3. Justin Livingston says:

Carl, I am 14 years old. I have watched you ever since I was a little kid. I always loved how you would do Carls Coats for Kids. You will be missed very much. I wish you the best or retirment. Carl, God Bless. You will always be remembered.

4. Jim from Piqua says:

Carl…you set the standard for local weather forecasting. Before you came around,Channel 2 (then WLWD) had WLWT’s meterologists Tony Sands and Frank Pierce down in Cincinnati providing area (and not as local) radar weather. Dewey Hopper (though not a meteorologist) was brave enough to do the local forecasts outside the studio in the early 70s. Your predicessor Bob Breck changed all that,but you were the one who not only gave a more professional approach, you did it all with a hometown boy persona….you gave weathercasting the local flavor it lacked for so many years. Best wishes to you and your family…and enjoy your retirement. May you too join the Dayton Broadcasters Hall of Fame.

5. Anonymous says:

HAS IT REALLY BEEN 32 YRS. FAREWELL MY FRIEND>

6. Judy says:

Hi Carl, we have watched WDTN since we moved to the Miami Valley 3 years ago. You are very professional and informative. You will be missed. I wish you all the luck. Enjoy your retirement.

7. Pat & John Koonts says:

Carl, I came to Dayton in 1959 to Attend U.D. From January 1956 to September 1959 I had an AirguideWeather forecasting weather station and had a keen interest in weather science. I have never observed any other meteorologist explain weather in terms that we all can understand, as well as you have. My wife, from Bismarck, N.D., loved to hear her believed area mentioned often during the winter months. The warm feelings that the Miami Valley has for you are a testament to your skill, personality, and dedication. Enjoy retirement and may the sun and wind always be behind you.

8. Anonymous says:

My husband and I were young professionals ourselves when you began your career here and well remember your first broadcasts. We’ve watched you throughout your 32 years and depended on your forecasts. Thank you for your dedicated service to this community. Your daily presence in our lives with be sorely missed, but we look forward to seeing you periodically in the future. We beat you to retirement by a couple of years and highly recommend it. May your retirement years be happy, healthy and rewarding.

9. Janet Harrison says:

Carl, Thanks for all 32 years you devoted yourself to “our veiwing pleasure “. Have a great retirement and Best Wishes We will miss you ! Congradulation To Brian.
    The Harrison Family of New Carlisle.

10. Kay Lenoir says:

I will miss you a lot Carl. I have been with you since a child and I am 47 and have grandchildren and my children are 2 watchers. I have turned my husband from his childhood station to 2 weather and news. I’m glad that you will still be doing the coats and food for friends those are very important items to the Valley. I remember when Tony Pann was with you and many others even when Brain came on board. Take care and enjoy retirement.

11. Steve from Covington says:

Carl, you have come into our house for the past 32 years, and it won’t be the same without you. You weren’t just the weatherman, you were part of our family. Way back when my parents would watch channel 7 every night, but changed to channel 2 when you came aboard. You have gotten me through high school, the Blizzard of ’78, college, married life. We didn’t have a weatherman, we had Carl. Thank you for giving us such dependable forecasts, and being such a professional. I know Brian will do just fine, because he’s been taught by the best, Carl Nichols!

12. Stacey says:

Carl,

My family has watched you since I was a baby. I am now 29. You are the only weather man I have known. I wont no what to do. Hope your retirement is great. Enjoy the grandkids and all life has to offer.

13. Shelli says:

Congratulations on 32 sucessful years of broadcasting and here’s hoping that you have many, many happy years of retirement. It has been a joy to watch you forecast the weather and I do believe that you are the most accurate weatherman I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing (via television). Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!!

14. Vanessa Hawkins says:

Carl thank you for all the years on Channel 2, you have been my go to guy when the wether was good or bad and I trusted no one else’s forecast but yours. Mom watches channel 7 and I am on channel 2 with Carl is what I tell her and others. If Carl says snow then I know there will be snow, if you didn’t say it I didn’t look for it (smile). Have a great retirement you deserve it but you will surely be missed by your fans and I am one of them.

Vanessa Hawkins
    Across the line in Richmond, IN

15. Melissa Lincoln-Gilliland says:

I worked at WDTN in 1996-1998 in HR/payroll/GM’s (at that time it was David LaFrance)assistant. I heard you were retiring and wanted to say congratulations. I can remember watching you as a child when we had snow days from school! As an adult, I would always watch your weather forecasts. I really hope you enjoy retirement and all the wonderful things that have yet to come in your life. Thanks for all your hard work to keep us all informed over the years. You will be missed.

16. I will miss you forecast after watching it for many years. I never could find another weather forecast that I liked and it will be hard to settle on someone else for my weather news. Good luck in your retirement. Enjoy life.

17. Greg Oen says:

Hi Carl, hopefully you’ll remember me. I was a weather checker for the Minster checker for a few years and did a few live shots with you and Brian. WDTN is loosing a realy great guy. You always explained the weather in terms people could understand and without sensationalizing things and your track record was well above your competition. Enjoy your retirement years. We’re in good hands with Brian and Jamie and Eric.

18. Greg Oen says:

Sorry about the typo above. I meant to type “Minster area”.

19. jim meredith says:

A lot of fond memories of living in Dayton and your weather forecast was always first rate. Good luck in your retirement.

20. Barbara says:

We’re going to miss you! Have fun with your Grandkids and enjoy your retirement!!

21. Robert J Francis says:

Dear Carl, I will miss you. I watch your weather forecast everyday. You will be missed alot. YOU ARE DA MAN when it comes to the weather. I will miss you very munch. I like WDTN Channel 2. Its the only News Channel I watch. You do a very good job at making weather forecasts. I REALLY LIKE YOU. You have a good sense of humor. I have to go cry now. SEE YOU SOON. BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Big mac says:

Carl,

You are truly Daytons best weatherman!! I have been watching you all of my life, and you will be missed. You always got it right and even explained things when you did not!! I will continue to enjoy Brian in his new role (god knows he deserves it)! Looking forward to seeing you fill in from time to time….good luck in retirement…YOU WILL BE MISSED!!!!

23. (Slim) Chris Fornshil says:

Congrats Carl!!! I’ve watched you since your arrival here in the Dayton area.
    Sure will miss you on the airwaves sir. I’m glad to hear you’ll be doing some
    “part-time” work at the station for us all. We don’t have to give you a permanent goodbye yet anyway. Enjoy your retirement and wonderful family Carl.
    Thank you for your dedication and service to all of us “fans” and the local
    community services as well.
    I still can’t believe you are “young” enough to retire already.LOL!!!
    God Bless and take care my friend.Enjoy………..
    Chris Fornshil aka Slim 73.W8CDF

24. Brenda says:

Carl,

We have watched Channel 2 News for many, many years because of you. You are the best meterologist in Dayton and you will be missed! We will continue to watch Channel 2 with Brian and the weather team. We wish you all the best in your retirement! Enjoy! You deserve it!

Brenda

25. Maureen and Barry Payne says:

Carl,
    We hope you are getting settled in the retirement mode, but we do miss you.
    Maureen and Barry

26. John Coulter says:

Hi Carl,

It’s been great watching your forecasts all these years. My first contact with you however was not watching you on TV, but about 30 years ago I was a little kid at a soccer game who got hit in the face with the ball. You kindly offered your handkerchief to stop my bad nose bleed. My parents and I never forgot that kindness. Then, when I was going through college I was in a class with your daughter Bridgette. I got to know you a little more through her. Your career and life goes to show you that nice guys still do finish FIRST!

Enjoy your retirement. You will be missed!

God Bless,

John

27. Elaine S says:

I came to Dayton in the fall of 1976 and remember when you arrived in Dayton. I have watched you and Channel 2 for all of these years. When I wanted to know what was going on with the weather I knew I could always depend on you for the answers! I wish you well in your retirement. Hope to see you now and again on TV2

28. Steve Ward says:

Well I am late on the draw here.
    Carl is in the same, if not above, the level as Gil Whitney was. Carl’s forecasts were accurate the highest percentage compared to the rest. Carl warned people about the weather yet did not make an inch of snow into a blizzard either. When there was severe weather during the summer we always turned to Channel 2 to see what the warning was and where it was headed. Carl Nichols has had no competition, he has always been the best. He will be missed greatly by this household. God Bless you Carl.
    S & S in Kettering, Ohio.

29. Kevin N8EBJ in Dayton says:

Carl,

Thanks for the many years of service given to the Miami Valley Communities. You will surely be missed. Congratulations on you retirement. Let it be known that your forecasts, over the years, were the most accurate in the region, no question. Good Luck to you and your family. 73′s.

30. Rick says:

Carl,
    I lived in the Dayton area when you came to TV2. Your forecast was always trust worthy (on the money). When ever I am back in Dayton visiting relatives I catch your forecast. It was like seeing an old friend. You will be missed!
    Enjoy, the best is yet to come.
    Rick
    Savannah, GA

31. Howard Nathan says:

Carl, the grapevine went West. Congratulations and good luck with your retirement. Also, would you be so kind as to do your little rain dance in Colorado? We could use a little moisture around here in August.

32. Perry French says:

Hi Carl,

I want to congratulate you and extend my best wishes for your retirement last month. You are to be commended for 26 years of weather forecasting excellence in the Dayton area. Many of the methods you established will continue for years to come–I can see your influence on Brian.

You should have all the time you want now to play your favorite sport or do special things with your family; no more waiting for the weekend.

We will miss your smiling presence, but do enjoy your leisure!

Sincerely,

Perry French

33. Jamie Campbell says:

Carl, congrats on the retirement! It is well deserved! I have grown up watching you and the rest of the 2 news team, and I have to say that you will be missed! I hope that you enjoy your retirement, and hope to see you around when the annual Carl’s Coats for Kids begins again. ^_^

34. sharon says:

Carl, you have been a stand up personality through out your careerer
    Dayton is a better place because you are hear. Stay well,we love you.

35. Joe says:

Carl,

We will miss your truly outstanding service to the Miami Valley. Your forecasts were always among the best anywhere. We when me and my family wanted the “real” take on what was going on in the atmosphere, we always enjoyed your insightful analysis. The number of kids whose lives you touched in the Dayton area is countless and will be remembered as a lasting legacy to what a kind soul with a big heart can still do to make our world a better place. Thanks for all of the memories and all the best wishes to you for many years of well-deserved, happy retirement!

36. Bob King says:

Hi Carl,

This is Bob King….I was going to send you the 5 minute of that very interesting automatic RR track laying machine, but can’t locate your email addy. Please send it to me at bobnan180@woh.rr.com and I’ll forward that short movie.

Thanks, Bob