Have Flu Questions?

October 7th, 2009 at 11:06 am by under Uncategorized

Do you have any Flu questions or concerns?   We will have local health experts help answer your questions here.

63 Responses to “Have Flu Questions?”

1. john says:

im telling you the swine flu is just a scare from the goverment to go get shots that you dont need the goverment are dirty basterds to get you to go out and spend money you dont need to be spending money on

2. Judy holt says:

i have had 2 lung operations in may and June and not sure if i ever had apneumonia shot but did just recently got my flu shot should i still consider a pneumonia shot?

3. Peter says:

How long do I need to wait between flu vaccines if I get both the seasonal shot and the swine flu shot?

4. Peter says:

How can I tell the swine flu from the regular flu?

5. Peter says:

If my child has the swine flu, when should I worry they are sick enough to go the the emergency room?

6. Peter says:

How long do the experts expect the swine flu season to last?

7. Peter Bour says:

According to the Centers for Disease Control, the following are things to watch for in children:

- Fast breathing or trouble breathing
    - Bluish skin color
    - Not drinking enough fluids
    - Not waking up or not interacting
    - Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
    - Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
    - Fever with a rash

Any of these signs and symptoms would warrent a trip to the emergency department.

8. Wendy Beavers says:

My son is at home with the H1N1. His eye looks like he broke a blood vessel and he says that it hurts. I am assuming that he broke it from all the coughing. Are there any complications with the eye that I should know about? What are the signs that he needs to go to the E.R.?

9. Peter Bour says:

How can I tell the swine flu from the regular flu?

Currently, there is not seasonal influenza in the Dayton area. Therefore, anyone with signs and symptoms of flu are considered to have H1N1(swine)flu. Symptomatic care of flu with fluids, rest and medicine to decrease the fever are the same in both types of flu.

10. Peter Bour says:

There is not a waiting period between seasonal influenza and H1N1 vaccine if at least one of the vaccines was an injection or “shot”. They can be given at the same visit to the clinic or physician office. If both vaccines are intranasal vaccines or the “mist” then they need to be about a month apart.

11. Peter Bour says:

How long do the experts expect the swine flu season to last?

Traditionally, the flu season is approximately 12-16 weeks from start to finish. Since H1N1 is a novel virus for which most people do not have immunity, it is difficult to predict the length of time it will be in the community. Some initial data from the southern states (Georgia and Tennessee), indicates that the H1N1 season may be slightly shorter at about 8 weeks. We will not know for sure until after more data is collected.

12. Peter Bour says:

If I get a Flu shot do I also need a H1N1 shot as well?

Yes, you need both vaccines. The seasonal flu vaccine does not cover the H1N1 flu strain.

13. Peter Bour says:

Should an 8 month old that does not go to daycare receive the H1N1 vaccine?

Yes, children are at increased risk for the possibilty of hospitalizations due to complications of flu. The key is to prevent the flu in the first place. Also, people are contagious up to 24 hours before they develop signs and symptoms. That means that one could have exposures to people with flu who do not seem sick. Exposures can occur at many other places, not just day care.