Ring around the moon

January 7th, 2012 at 11:20 pm by under Weather

Tonight we took several calls and emails about a ring showing up around the moon.  I stepped outside (I was so excited I forgot my coat – oops) and saw what is called a halo around the moon.
Here’s a photo from Parker Fritz

There are cirrus clouds over the Miami Valley right now.  These clouds are high in the atmosphere and contain tiny ice crystals.  These ice crystals refract the moonlight and create a ring or halo around the moon.

Here’s another photo from Eric Arthur

These optical effects are sometimes hard to photograph.  I’ve seen other photos where something like a pole or large object is blocking the moon that way you can see the ring more clearly.  However these photos are great!

If you’re a science buff and want a little more detailed information about refraction click here.

There are also sun halos.  Same concept.
Hope you enjoyed the show!!
Tara

Facebook
Twitter
Google +

44 Responses to “Ring around the moon”

1. Andrea says:

Thanks so much for the information! My 10-year old son loves weather and astronomy and is learning so much from these blogs!! Thanks for tips and highlights!

2. Jason says:

Ms Hastings,

We do not all get up to go to church on Sunday mornings. Believe it or not, some of your viewers may be of other religions just as valid as yours, so please keep the weather report about the weather and quit imposing your religious posturing on those of us who don’t care to hear it. Jeez…you think this would be journalism 101 level stuff.

3. John Adams says:

ALIENS ARE GOING TO EAT US ALL

4. JD says:

Get a life jerk!!!!!!!!

Jason says:
    January 7, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Ms Hastings,

5. David Stanislaw says:

Thanks for the “heads up” on the halo explanation. One of my favorite atmospheric conditions of the colder months. Right up there with sun pillars and crepuscular rays. Just out of curiosity, I looked up the word origin of “halo”. Found out it has a latin origin from roughly the mid 1500′s meaning quite simply “a ring of light aound the sun or moon’s disc”. Latin, the language of science. Ain’t it great!

6. Tom says:

Jason, not in one spot in her report did she make any religious reference other that the word ‘halo’, which, stated in last post, means ring of light around the sun or moon’s disc in Latin. Either you’re ignorant of the report, or you’re a troll.

7. steven tan says:

what actually you saw is a huge invisible UFO spaceship I post some photo at facebook UFO hunter fans those zoom photo is what I took in malaysia when ring around the moon phenomenon happen last year.

8. Albert says:

troll…

9. Jen says:

I say he’s just an A$$. There was nothing about religion in the report..REALLY?? & just because someone may dicuss religion doesn’t mean they are trying to push their views on you!!!

10. The devil says:

All of yall will burn in hell go to church

11. antoinette says:

Jason i agree with Tom ur ignorant… and to Tara thanks

12. antoinette says:

i also agree with jen!

13. Tonya says:

i saw the halo around the moon and thought it t be neat. thank you for the explanation of what it was.

14. God says:

Cease your argument. He too shall reap what he sows.

15. Anonymous says:

Guess what Jason….
    Believe it or not, some of us don’t wake up every morning scanning website for references to religion; then comment about how it offends us. Get a life. You obviously failed at this one, so don’t quit your day job.
    Thanks.

Sincerely,
    All of Humanity

16. E.T. says:

phone home

17. unclear says:

Not just the ring around the moon tonight there is also a star on the moon that wasn’t there before, its by the herculies section that looks like a C

18. Flipper says:

With a little elbow grease I can get those rings out, tcb.

19. Merrily, Merrily says:

@Jason, get a dictionary, look up the word *halo* and view ALL the various meanings. Also look up pinhead….you should see your photo, it will be categorized under *I am a moron 101*.

20. rocndy says:

Does this mean playing HALO will give me a religious experience? I hope not!!!

21. Faith says:

My Children were amazed by the ring, they ran inside and googled and found out why it was there and educated the adults on it’s meaning. But they also stated that they wanted to be on time for church this morning!!!!

22. looking says:

Jupiter is just outside the ring, or HALO as it is properly called Jason. Jupiter can not be seen as well from all areas. Jason, if what is said offends you, don’t come back.

23. Satan says:

Yes my children this was a halo. Tick Tock.

24. Concerned says:

Jason,
    The United States was built on In GOD We Trust…..hit the history books!!!! If this offends anyone then go back home!!!!! WE ARE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!!! IN GOD WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!

25. missy says:

My son and I also saw the halo……we were hoping it meant snow was on the way!!!! What is up with this warm weather? Bring on the SNOW!!!!!

26. Greg says:

JASON………..Are you serious? Is it the word HALO that has you upset? As far as I know that has no religious menaing whatsoever other than the description of an angel with a halo above their head???
    Other than that, like others are saying, this IS the United States of America and was ABSOLUTELY founded on a trust and belief in God!! I am about to ascertain you are descriminating against Christians? THAT is VERY unAmerican Jason!!

27. summer says:

guys…stop fighting over one persons dumb idea…just enjoy what nature has made.. why are you all getting so excited….really..be happy check our pulse be happy were alive and ignore ignorance..lifes to short to care…happy moon gazing everyone..lets act like mature adults brush it off as we all know how and smile..:)

28. Shades says:

Western PA – there is another HALO around the moon.
    I don’t have any decent camera equipment avail, and my cell wouldn’t get the halo – but it was stunning!

29. IDALYZME says:

REALLY PEOPLE! I CAME TO THIS SITE TO READ ABOUT THE CURRENT RINGS AROUND THE MOON…AND IN WASTING MY TIME READING THESE PAST COMMENTS, I ALMOST HAVE FORGOTTEN WHAT I CAME HERE FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE! IT FEELS LIKE A FLASHBACK TO GRADE SCHOOL! BE MATURE! RELIGIOUS OR NOT…IT’S SIMPLE TO INGNORE! MOVE ON…THAT IS ALL!

30. Jordon N says:

This is so amazing forget jason and be happy! life is to short to argue like Summer said and i would love to watch the moon all night, makes me remember that nature is amazing. Lets not ruin this for our children and persirve our planet for futer generations.

31. jessica says:

i think that the ring looks awsome and there is another one out tonight.

32. jessica says:

i am trying to take a pic but cant get the ring to show up in the picture, and tried video still nothing. how did you guys get the picture so good?

33. cezar says:

we gonna die foools

34. God says:

The ring around the moon wasn’t anything to be worried about I just farted and I’m sorry.

35. God says:

Silent but deadly

36. Doug Haskins says:

Cirrus cloulds that contain tiny ice crystals, high in the atmosphere. As meteorologists tries to explain God’s artistry with science.

37. Abiquiuman says:

Wow, this is getting alot of attention. Moon Halos or Rings. Thank God for Science. If we were living in the Dark Ages the Fundamentalist would be at the Winners Circle.

38. Faye says:

Omgishness! the Halo is here tonight, go look at it!Its creepy, It seems like the end of the world for meh! D:

39. mr reality says:

Anyone who believes in god is an ignorant fool. I bet they believe in the tooth fairy too

40. mark says:

Jason…your correct!! im tired of this religion crap also…keep it to yourself. have u meet god..no!! so how do u even know there is one….get a life!!

41. donna says:

My husband died at 11:50 pm on the 6th when after he passed I went outside and looked up and saw this same circle around the moon and I have never Seen it before and I felt like it was a sign for me

42. hi yeah thanks for the information about the halo thing because i saw it happen a few weeks ago or last week i think and i was scared have to death by what was causing it but now i know so thank you soo much and it really helped on my astronomy paper

43. James says:

I live in Georgia and this is going on right now at 10:35 pm ET and it’s awesome. I can’t believe that some liberal lefty or Muslim or whatever Jason is. He’s definitely a “IT”. Really, halo makes you think religion. You sure your not on your X-Box lol!! Like everyone said….. Get a life because I looked up turd in the dictionary and wow you was right there. I love how you just kept on replying. You was hoping that other nuts like you would jump on “your” bandwagon and start bashing a really interesting story but when you saw you was all alone, you crawled back into your crib and cried all night. Halo’s are awesome and beautiful. Nothing you’ll ever say can change it!!!!!!!

44. Ewa says:

Just want to point out a few things, trying to discontinue this thread from being about religion. Jason is ignorant. Leave it at that. The country was founded BY god fearing people. But god has nothing to do with the foundation of the country. Neither god nor Jesus are mentioned anywhere in the constitution or the bill of rights. In fact there’s a statement about how a test of faith is not allowed to be a requirement to hold political office. Lets all be informed before we make claims. It’s a cool halo around the moon. Lets be awed at that. Not a troll.